Monday, November 7, 2016

Rain, Lapli, More Rain, Plis Lapli, Rain Again, Lapli Anko!

The convent driveway and front yard, taken this morning.  


The first door on the left is the door to the play-room, where I conduct groups and appointments with the children. This was taken yesterday afternoon.  

This was the path from the Orphanage Convent to the other buildings on the grounds of the orphanage yesterday around noon.  

The field at the orphanage.  this was taken yesterday around noon when the rain had stopped.  


The orphanage playground taken late afternoon yesterday, through the back window of the play therapy roon.  
Had I known that rain would be the obvious choice of topics for this week's update, perhaps I would have chosen to write about something else last week.  Rain is the reason I am updating on Monday as opposed to Tuesday.  I might as well update today, since heavy rainfall, and flooded streets have kept me making the short trip to the orphanage today.  If the rain stops, I will be able to go to the orphanage later this afternoon or tomorrow, si Dye vle.  Today rain has closed schools and many businesses in the area.  Rain caused a last minute change of location for the local parish Sunday liturgy yesterday morning because we could not enter the school yard where we normally have mass due to large puddles.   While it did not keep me from going to the orphanage yesterday, the wet floor of the play room, damp toys and deep puddle outside the door of the playroom prevented me from holding my Sunday group sessions with the older children.  Instead, I mopped the water out of the playroom and offered creative activities  and games in the house.  We are fortunate to have sturdy two-story housing both where I live and for the children at the orphanage.  I suspect, however, that the orphanage convent is at risk of possible flooding if this rain continues.  Unfortunately, there have been news reports of a few flooding-related deaths in the general area.  No doubt this rain is causing serious suffering for many of our neighbors, employees, families of sisters, and friends.  So, I find myself repeating my request for prayers for those who are suffering greatly because of the rain.

Wednesday was the Feast of All Souls.  I was happy to once again have attended the liturgy followed by prayers in the Holy cemetery.  It is now a familiar ritual, similar to the past two years. See: 2015 All Souls Day and 2014 All Souls Day for more details.

I have resumed teaching English on Thursday mornings.  This year the Holy Cross men have six novices who attend along with their novice director and another young priest.  There are three Holy Cross sisters and a young woman who is doing an internship while discerning entering the congregation among my students as well as an orphanage employee who hasThurdays off.  I find I really enjoy teaching them.

I hope you are well.  Have a good week.  For all my American family, friends, community members, don't forget to vote tomorrow.
 
Take care.  Many blessings!

   

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen, praying for you and the people as you wait for the waters to subside.

    Can't wait to hear that our first female president is elected. Tired if listening to T.
    I remember that H did not do well for the people of H. I'm sure T never did a thing for the people of H. He only rambles his litney. Ugh! Enough already.

    Praying for you and all.

    ReplyDelete