Tuesday, January 24, 2017

HOPE

“The cross, our only hope.” 

Those are the words of Fr. Moreau, the founder of the Holy Cross congregations.  Friday, January 20th was his feast day.  Here in Cap-Haitian, the Family of Holy Cross celebrated the feast day together on Saturday night at Leocaide Convent where I live.  The celebration began with a prayer service, which seemed to have been well prepared; I wished I had understood more of it (it was mostly in French.)  The prayer was followed by a game of Holy Cross Bingo.  Trivial questions regarding the history of the Holy Cross Congregations were asked and the answers were written on Bingo cards.  I enjoyed observing the excitement of people as they called out correct answers to the questions and especially their enthusiasm when they won.  That evening, our dining room was filled with laughter and conversation as we enjoyed a wonderful meal.  As we began to eat our desserts some local communities entertained everyone with singing and dancing. One of the priests told a joke in Creole (I could not understand much of the prayer service or the French Bingo questions, but at least I got the joke!)  It was truly an enjoyable gathering.  For those of us who live here, the celebration was followed by washing dishes.  

Two years ago at the end of my first Fr. Moreau's Feast Day Fèt in Haiti, the sisters at the high school convent who had hosted that year announced that the Holy Cross men of a particular house would host the following year. Last year at that party one of the priests announced that Leocaide Convent would host this year.  When the party was over, I realized that we had not continued that tradition and wondered where next year’s party will be held. 

Regardless of where the party is held, what I am really wondering is whether or not I will be in Haiti next year.  The original agreement between the Marianites of Holy Cross (my congregation) and the Sister of Holy Cross regarding my ministry here was for three years, which if not renewed will end in September, or actually since the orphanage operates on a school schedule more likely it would end in June.  My preference at the moment is to stay in Haiti, but know that I am called to be open to respond to whatever the Spirit may seemingly ask of me. 
   
There are so many unknowns right now.  I wonder where I will be next year and what my future holds. In preparation for meetings we will have this summer I find myself pondering possibilities regarding the future of my congregation.  When I consider the current political situation in the United States, fears arise within me that potential policy changes will have severe detrimental effects on those who are most vulnerable and at least for four years move us further from the possibility of creating a more just, peaceful, and sustainable world.  Today, I sat down to pray,  tempted to try too hard to sort out all of the unknowns.   I share with you the words that came.
    
Unknowns abound
but so do the certainties
of seasons
and Paschal patterns,
For even if what seems the worst of all possibilities
one day arrives as reality,
Then from under the abandoned ashes
seeds will surely sprout
and rise from death’s decay
to flower and offer fruit,
proudly proclaiming the certitude
that hope cannot be killed.  


Many blessings!  

2 comments: