Monday, January 2, 2017

The Beauty of Burkina

Since I am currently living in Haiti and was visiting Burkina Faso I am tempted to make comparisons.  There are striking similarities and drastic differences in the cultures, the people, the poverty, and the beauty.

There are images of Burkina that I will always carry with me.  I want to share some pictures I took of Burkina.  None of the pictures really capture the experience.  I am still needing to reflect.  It may be a while before I understand what this journey has meant for me; somehow it seems to have expanded my perspectives.  I know that I am grateful for every minute of time I spent in Africa.  It was a wonderful experience of being in community, and getting to know the sisters there a little better.

(Out of respect for people's privacy I generally don't share identifiable photos of people, so hope you enjoy the plants, animals, and landscapes.)



















There were many gifts of the past week.  They included interactions with various people, a visit to the Sisters of Holy Cross at their convent in the capital, a new year's eve luncheon for priests and sisters of the diocese hosted by the local bishop, celebrating the parish feast day, being with the Marianites who serve in Burkina, and just enjoying and attempting to learn from Africa.  
  
I am on way back to Haiti.  There is simply no direct route between Yalgo and Cap-Haitian.  Because of flight schedules, I am spending a night at a hotel in France and will continue my journey tomorrow.  The internet at the hotel is very fast!   They also have a very nice shower with hot running water.  I had thought maybe I would try to see a little of Paris, but my plane getting in was delayed, getting to the hotel was a little more complicated than I thought, and it was snowing when I landed, the snow turned to rain, (my winter coat is in Rhode Island.)  Thanks to modern transportation one can be in a very dry warm climate one evening and find oneself in a cold wet place the next morning.  Amazing!  

Happy New Year!  Many blessings!    

1 comment:

  1. Thx, Kathleen, for sharing your experience with us. Safe travels! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete