Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Demolition of Dreams (a poem,) Pictures, and Updates


Recently there have been buildings in the city that have been marked for demolition because they were built on top of canals that were created for the flow of rain run-off.    Reflection on that image was the spring-board for the poem below.   The poem uses that idea as a metaphor and is in no way meant to express any kind of an opinion on the actual situation or the politics behind it, which I do not fully understand and are probably complex. 

   

Demolition of Dreams

A single spray-painted word on a concrete wall 
marks a dream for demolition.  

Destruction of dreams can take many forms: 
diminishment, divorce, deportation, disability, diagnosis, 
disaster (natural or not), death.  

Inevitably everything dies eventually 
and 
in actuality, nothing ever really dies completely.

What was carefully constructed can come crashing down
Cement crushed into concrete crumbs.

Perhaps where the structures once stood 
fresh water will freely flow
and its current can create and carry new dreams 
those previously unimaginable  or
once presumed to be impossible
now granted through grace disguised as destruction 
the potential to grow.  



 Here are a few pictures I took yesterday morning while waiting for a ride to a school.  


  


Updates: 
My days have been full.  In general, things are going well.  Each week I have such a variety of activities since each of the three schools and the orphanage where I serve as a social worker are all different.  My role is evolving in different ways as I try to best respond to the needs of the students and staff at each location. 

My English classes are going well, too.  I generally genuinely enjoy them.  Although I am still challenged in trying to figure out the best way to effectively teach 57 high school seniors conversational English at 7:00 in the morning in 45 minutes a week. 

On Sunday I had the opportunity to meet with a group of children in the parish who are called Timoun Misyonè (Missionary Children.)  I was helping to prepare them to go and visit a home for people with disabilities, which they will do as a service project soon.  It was enjoyable to meet the young people of the parish who want to be of service to the parish and larger community.  I also felt privileged to be able to share with them the positive experiences that I have had in my life when interacting with people who have disabilities.  I realize that when people with disabilities are excluded from schools and other sectors of society it is not only unfortunate for those who are disabled but equally for those who are not considered disabled who are then denied the possibility of interacting and forming friendships with those who are.  I pray that the children will have a good visit and a positive experience and I pray for all of those they will encounter and for their caregivers. 

Have a good week.  Many blessings!   

 

   




No comments:

Post a Comment