Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Be Like Brit


 


Last February while scanning my Facebook feed one evening, out of curiosity I clicked on a  job post for a position at a children's home.  It caught my attention because they were looking for someone with knowledge of "child development" and "positive discipline"  The more I read the more I was intrigued.  It seemed they were looking for someone with my exact skill set and experience.  Although I had not been actively seeking a job at that time, I began to wonder if this could be a possibility.  A specific date in early April was given as the deadline for applying, which gave me time to learn more about the organization and discern before even telling anyone about the position.  Trying to determine if the organization had a sense of mission, values, and priorities consistent with my own, I checked out the website of the organization, which is called Be Like Brit.   There I found that a book, Heart Ache and Hope in Haiti  was written by the couple who had started the orphanage  (and fortunately it was available to purchase on Kindle. )  While discerning if I should pursue this possibility I read the book.   The more I learned about the organization, the more I liked.  It seemed like it could actually be an ideal position for me, a good use of my skills and experience and an organization that had a sense of mission and values congruent with my own.   

Brit's Home was started by a family whose college-age daughter, Brittney, was on a service trip in Haiti with other university students when the 2010 earthquake occurred.  That morning she had visited an orphanage and sent a text stating that she wants to move to Haiti and start her own orphanage.  That was one of the last texts she would write because she was one of the thousands who died in that tragic event.  Her family started Be Like Brit in her memory.  If you visit the website and read the book the story will likely move you, too. To me, it is inspiring and a profound living example of the paschal mystery, new life resulting from death.  A family who tragically lost their child, created a loving and nurturing home for children who lack parents. 

After much reflection, discernment, and thought I decided that I was feeling called to at least send in my resume, cover letter and letters of reference and inform those in leadership of my congregation of my desire to at least be considered for this position.  On the afternoon in March when I decided to start to contact my congregation and those I wanted to write reference letters, the job posting that I had visited several times during the previous weeks, had suddenly disappeared from the internet.  I was deeply disappointed and thought maybe even though they said they would be accepting resumes until a specific date in early April, they had already filled the position.  After a little reflection, I felt compelled to at least ask if it would still be possible to apply and soon received a response.  It was not too late; one of the reasons that it had been taken down was that they were not planning to fill the position until the first of September.  I was elated and thought that would actually work out perfectly for me, since I was committed to finishing the school year in Cap-Haitian, desiring to make a several days long directed retreat this summer and have been looking forward to going to Ireland during the summer with my parents. 

During my interviews which took place via Skype, I asked many questions about various topics such as the treatment of children and staff training.  I was quite pleased with the responses, and extremely impressed with the program and even wondered if it was too good to be true. 

In May I visited for a long weekend and experienced Be Like Brit first hand.  From the minute I walked in the door I felt at home at Brit's Home.  I was able to spend some time with the children and talk with employees and others involved and just get a feel for the place, and it all felt amazingly positive.   

I was offered the job, and with the support of the leadership team of my religious congregation with much delight, I have accepted the position of Program Administrator of Brit's Home. 

Last week I packed up all of my belongings in Cap-Haitian.   During the past few weeks, I  have said many good-byes some of which were quite difficult.  The only disadvantage is that Grand Goave, where the program is located is quite a distance from Cap-Haitian and the people there who I have grown to love there during the past four years. 

On Sunday I traveled to Brit's Home where I am visiting for most of this week.  This visit is further confirming for me, that this where I am being called.  Since school is out the children are having more of a summer camp experience with a variety of fun, creative and educational activities and experiences.  Yesterday afternoon I went with a group of children and caretakers to the nearby beach for a swim.  It is a privilege to be able to spend time here as a visitor and observer, taking it all in.  I have had time to just chat with kids, employees, and volunteers and be with and play with the children.  I am looking forward to September when I will to the best of my ability, and hopefully with the prayerful support of all of you who are reading this assume this new role. 

There is even a mango tree just outside the front door! 



4 comments:

  1. Wow. Beautiful! So glad you are finding your home away from home. Hope to see you soon!

    Lotsa love, Maleita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maleita! When I am in the US I'll call you. Hopefully you and your family are all doing well. Love, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathleen, Congratulations on your new job. It sounds like it will be the perfect match for you and them. My neighbors are in Haiti for two weeks. I'm glad you're going to Ireland this summer with your parents. Hope to see you soon. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I appreciate your support and hope to see you soon too. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete