Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Endings and Four Years




When we say goodbye to people we never know if our paths will cross again.  I was thinking of that last week as the last regular week of school came to a close, wondering if I will ever again encounter some of the children I have worked closely with this year.  As I was leaving a school on Friday possibly for the last time, I heard my name and was approached by a familiar looking face.  A young man who had worked at Kay Saint Ann in Tabarre when I was there(7 years ago), was visiting Milot for a project.  I was glad that he recognized me and since he is in touch with many workers and children he updated me a bit.  Somehow encountering this young man put the good-byes that I had experienced that week in perspective. 

The World Cup starts tomorrow.  It was going on eight years ago when I was studying Haitian Creole in Miami.  It was also going on four years ago, the summer I was preparing to come to Cap-Haitian.  I just went back and read the update I wrote nearly four years ago.  In it, I wonder where I will be in four years.  Well, here I am four years later in Cap-Haitian, preparing to leave Haiti for the summer so that I can again prepare to return to Haiti but to something new (which I will write more about soon.)  Once again, four years later, I am preparing for something new in Haiti;  Is there something cyclical going on here?  Do I dare again wonder where life will have taken me four years from now?               


These weeks have been very busy.  This evening, I finished my grades for my high school  English conversation classes.  I have been spending extra time at the orphanage giving the children a final chance to come to the playroom or (for the older children) the possibility of a  creative activity.  This week I am observing during exams at the high school, which is not especially exciting. While most of my busyness has been related to my work, there has been some fun too.  On Monday I had the opportunity to go with several of the sisters and the eight postulants I live with to a beach.  We participated in an outing planned for many of the postulants and novices from several congregations as well as some diocesan seminarians.  It was a wonderful day spent by and in the sea.  It was very energizing to be around so many young enthusiastic people.    The Holy Cross men's novices who were my English students until last Thursday were also on the beach trip; I am glad it did not take too long to cross paths with them after class ended.   



Many blessings!     


No comments:

Post a Comment