Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Random Information and Observations




When I first started going to the sisters' school in Milot by tap-tap in September, I would almost always be asked by tour guides seeking a day's work, if I were going to the Citadelle.  I would tell them that I was not; I was going to the sisters' school.  After a while, when they realized that this was my weekly routine, they stopped asking but would often greet me kindly.  Then around Madi Gra, my dad came to visit and we actually went to the Citadelle.  Now, when I am on my way to the sisters' school in Milot I am often asked, by tour guides, "How is your dad?"  Two of them sometimes tell me to greet my dad for them.  This brings a smile to my face.  There is something beautiful about Haitian hospitality!

Our parish priest knows some basic English and likes to practice with me occasionally.  Recently, he began sometimes saying, "the Body of Christ," in English when offering me communion.  When he does, I respond, "Amen", with a long "A;"  instead of"Amen," with a short "A," which is how I respond if it is said in Creole or French.



Sometimes things have a way of working out wonderfully.

This past weekend I was very fortunate that things fell into place in terms of scheduling and I was able to participate in an online continuing education program through the Family & Play Therapy Center in Philadelphia.  I was very grateful and learned a lot about caring for children who are struggling because of their traumatic pasts.  If everyone better understood trauma I think we would all be a bit more compassionate and patient with one another and towards the children we encounter.       

There is only one morning a week, given our schedule, in which it is practical for me to go for a run to exercise.  I got lucky last week because during the night before my run we had just the right amount of rain to diminish the dust without creating much mud.  Sometimes, I recognize, appreciate and celebrate such simple things.  Hopefully, you do too.   


 

Once again, it is that time of year when mangoes are in season! 

Have a good week.  Many blessings! 




2 comments:

  1. Your Mangos are a different color than the ones we get. Yours don't look quite ripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grandma, There are hundreds of varieties of mangoes in Haiti. The ones that you can buy in the stores in the US are not the same variety that is in that picture and the ones in the picture are not quite ripe yet. Some varieties are ripe when they are green though. I will talk to you soon and look forward to seeing you in a little over a month. Many blessings! Love, Kathleen

      Delete