Sunday, September 30, 2018

First Month Reflection

Yesterday marks one month since I arrived at Be Like Brit, and tomorrow marks one month since I officially began working here.  First months in a new position at a new place, are both simultaneously challenging and easy. Challenging because there is so much to learn, and easy because people are patient since the new person has much to learn. 

It seems to me that nearly every experience I have had in my entire life is somehow helping me in this current situation.  Every day I recall concepts from my teaching experience and ideas I was exposed to when studying for my undergraduate degree in Elementary and Special Education.  This helps tremendously because I am responsible for overseeing the program for eight of our children who attend the Be Like Brit Academy because their educational needs were not being adequately addressed in local schools.  Recently I was recalling a memory from when I worked at an overnight camp one summer when I was in college, and thought about how living at an orphanage is a little like that, except that these kids are here for many years instead of a few weeks.  I am grateful that I participated in various volunteer experiences when I was young, and lived and worked with lay volunteers for many years, as I interact with volunteers in my position here (here someone who is volunteering for only one month is considered a long-term volunteer, that differs from my previous experience.)  We are planning a transitional program for some of the oldest children who will need to be preparing for adulthood outside the walls of BLB; my experience of working at Covenant House in New Orleans and at Drueding Center (transitional housing for women and children experiencing homelessness) in Philadelphia provides me with a few ideas that can be adapted to assist us with the planning and implementation of a transitional program here.  My clinical social work experience comes in handy as I supervise social workers and a psychologist.  General Social Work theory and values inform all aspects of my work.  Obviously, my previous experiences in Haiti help a great deal.  If I had not learned the language I don't think I could be effective in this position. 

It amazes me how our life experiences build upon each other and one experience may be preparing a person for a later experience in life that the person would not even be able to imagine until it arrives.  I am grateful for all of the experience in my life, the people who have taught, supported and challenged me and for my current experience and all of those  I encounter, learn from and collaborate with each day.   




On my day off, I get to enjoy the beach. Fortunately, I learned to enjoy the beach during my childhood in the Ocean State!

Have a good week.  Many blessings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment