Thursday, September 13, 2018

Reflections on Recent Events: From Serious and Sentimental to Somewhat Silly

A few months from now, it will be hard to remember that there was ever a time when I did not know the names of each of the children or their caregivers.  Eventually, in addition to names, children's individual personalities and preferences will be revealed and known to me.  Certainly, some of the faces I'm still struggling to recall names for will be etched in my memory and carried forever in my heart. While working with children will always have an element of unpredictability and adventure,  soon I will have a sense of daily and weekly rhythms and routines.   Some of what seemed so new and mysterious early last week will be normal and natural by the end of next week.  As I write these words, I realize that certain aspects of my experience of starting in this new position as the program administrator of Brit's Home are likely a shared September experience that may resonate with educators and others everywhere.  

The first days here have been full.  Full of activity, but also of wonder, amazement, surprise, welcome and of love.  Among other activities, I have been meeting with each of the members of the program staff so that I can get to know them and understand what they do and how they view their work. I am feeling fortunate to be among so many professional people who truly care for and love the children.   

Today I took my first day off.  I was able to go to Tabarre for the goodbye celebration of a sister who is returning to the United States after serving in Haiti for 16 years.  She was very supportive of me especially during my first experience in Haiti.  I was grateful that I had to opportunity to attend today's gathering.  While there I stopped by  Kay St. Anne to visit some of the employees who knew well eight years ago when I worked at Kay St. Anne (if you have no idea what I am talking about because you started reading my blog in recent years, click see my blog entries written between late August of 2010 and October of 2011.)  Today, too, I was able to encounter two children who lived there when I worked there, both have beautiful smiles and great spirits, each happens to have a developmental disability and holds a very special place in my heart.        
 
Chapel at St. Damien's in Tabarre today



      
I had thought I had the bedroom here all to myself, but I was wrong.  There was actually a family of mice nesting underneath the bookcase in my room, where I suspect at least the momma mouse lived before I moved in.  When I first saw a mouse enter my room from under the door, and run and hide under the bookcase. I was not alarmed.   After all, (if you did read my old blog entries you know) eight years ago, at NPH where I  lived in a tent for the first month, a rat would regularly come into the tent at night and I would hear it under my cot. (here is the link to the entry with the rat story ) A mouse under a wooden shelf is nothing compared to rats under the bed.  I spotted the mouse several times and figured it would leave since I did not have any food out.  One night while trying to do a short bedtime yoga routine, I admit I got a bit skittish when I could hear mice noises and realized that while I could not see a mouse my head was close to the wooden shelf and imagined one running on me while I lay on the yoga mat with my eyes closed.  I did not finish the yoga video that night.  Soon after that, I saw a little mouse climbing over my shoe, fortunately, not the ones that were on my feet.  Yesterday three maintenance men worked very hard to evict the mice.  I had hoped that they would be able to do so without causing any mouse injuries or death, but I knew that my wish was not really realistic.  The men I believe had worked especially hard to trap the mother mouse and so they smiled with pride when showing me its remains.   To the best of my knowledge, I now have my own bedroom.      
     

Thanks for taking the time to read my update. Many blessings!  

  

4 comments:

  1. Kathleen, Yesterday I found the video on Bricks for Brit, and now I am trying to find it again. Can you tell me how to return to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.belikebrit.org/video/our-videos/ Here is the link to the webiste where the Bricks for Brit video can be found. Thank you! Take care. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have to copy the address and paste it to get to the video. You can also go the the Be Like Brit website or Facebook page and look for it under videos. Thanks.

      Delete