Saturday, September 12, 2015

Dlo (water)

Last Sunday evening, after updating this blog, I attended the first vow ceremony of two young Holy Cross men.  The liturgy was wonderful (it was in Creole) and the fèt that followed was quite enjoyable.  It is truly a gift to be able to connect with the larger Family of Holy Cross.
 
For nearly a week we have not had running water in the convent where I am living.  There is a working faucet outside.  Water is carried in buckets into the house filling large drums; convent employees do a great deal of the transporting of water for us.  We are fortunate that we have water in our yard and don’t have to travel significant distances in search of it and very fortunate that we have helpful employees.  Often I see people, frequently children, walking in the streets carrying containers of water; many have to do this daily; they don’t have water in their yard, never mind pumps carrying running water in their homes.  Our pump will soon be repaired or replaced.  I have learned to bathe with water from a bucket.  Knowing that someone will have to carry water in order to replenish the supply, I am increasingly aware of how much water I use.  While I would prefer to have running water, and the temporary situation is inconvenient, it reminds me not to take water for granted and that having running water inside a house is actually a luxury, one I have very often taken for granted.    

Tomorrow the children will return.  I am really looking forward to seeing them.  

I hope you are all well.  Take care!  Many blessings!    

No comments:

Post a Comment