Tuesday, September 22, 2015

They have arrived: Children, Running water and Visas


Much has happened since I last wrote.  The children returned and seven new children joined the Mary Gate of Heaven Orphanage family.  I was happy to see the children, and many of them seemed happy to see the staff, the sisters and one another.   Some have grown taller and matured a bit during the summer months.  I can't even imagine what it must be like for the new children, especially the youngest among them, who suddenly find themselves separated from the people they have always known, surrounded by strangers in an unfamiliar place.

Last week, I had a chance to meet with each of the children briefly individually. On Sunday I started doing groups with the older children and began groups with the younger children yesterday.     During groups, I simply do a brief lesson or activity with them usually about feelings, or conflict resolution, or a relaxation exercise, skills to help with emotional regulation, or read/tell a story that might have therapeutic value for them.  Then they are invited to play or do an artistic/creative activity of their choice. When working with groups, I don't feel I am giving them the same quality of services they would get individually,sometimes I feel I am simply providing a space for them to be creative, and hope that the experience I provide is healing or at least helpful.  Sometimes I am amazed at how the play or art project does seem to reflect or express something about their life that they might not otherwise be able to say.  I feel privileged to be able to journey with children in this way.

Saturday will be my day to see children who are identified for individual therapy.  Tuesday is my day off.  Most likely that will be the day I update this blog.  

It seems to be healthy and helpful for me to leave the orphanage lakou at the end of the day and come home to another convent.  The short walk or bike ride from one place to the other provides me with a much appreciated transition.  When I arrived home on Sunday, dripping with sweat, I automatically started bailing water from the large blue drum into my kivèt (wash basin) to bathe, when I decided to check if the water had been repaired during the day. When I turned on the faucet I smiled to see water coming out, and I thought, "Wow! Nou gen dlo!."  Once again we have running water much of the time, as we had before the pump broke; we don't have it all of the time because we don't have electricity all of the time and the pump is dependent upon electricity.  Now, when it is running we can easily fill buckets and barrels to use when it is not running.  Going without something even just briefly seems to increase my appreciation for it!  Next time you turn a nob and water comes out, smile!    

There are four postulants who are living here, who were scheduled to have left in June for Canada and then for Peru to start their novitiate, but have remained in Haiti waiting for visas.  Last week their visas were denied.  Then yesterday, we learned that a couple of Canadian sisters had gone to the embassy to advocate for the sisters, and that the visas were finally approved!  We celebrated at dinner last night.  They may leave as soon as next week; I have enjoyed living with them for this short time and will miss them.

              

No comments:

Post a Comment