Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Kreyòl



It has been more than five and a half years since I began to learn Creole.  Of course for nearly three of those years, while living in New Orleans, my simple and realistic goal was not to loose the Creole I had already learned. The truth is my Creole has improved a great deal over the years, and the truth is I still make frequent mistakes and sometimes need to ask people to repeat themselves and at times people need me to repeat myself.  There are times when I feel confident regarding my ability to communicate, even if imperfectly.  Some days I can easily switch from thinking in English to having conversation in Creole and at other times my ability to code-switch is anything but smooth.  My vocabulary seems inconsistent in that sometimes I realize that I don't know the word for a very ordinary everyday object, and yet on occasion Creole speakers who know me have been surprised that I know certain other words. For example, one sister was surprised that I know the word for homosexual (masisi); and yet until yesterday I did not know the verb to "melt" (fonn.)  There are words that I mix up; words a native speaker would not likely confuse, for example I recently caught myself using the word for "lazy" (parese)  when I actually wanted to use the word "hurry" (prese.)  I used to have that problem with "sun, and "shoes," (solèy and soulye.)  Sometimes I feel a sense of awe that I have actually learned a second language and at other times I feel embarrassed that after all of the this time and all my effort my skills are not at least a bit better.

The strongest emotion I have regarding learning Creole is gratitude.  I am grateful for the stories I hear, for the relationships that I form with children, workers, sisters and friends.  My life has been enriched by the people I communicate with both those I have come to know well, and  through many brief interactions with individuals I may only encounter once.  As I walk down the street, I am grateful that I can greet and briefly chat with a neighbor whose smile radiates contagious joy.  Being able to communicate, in another language, even if imperfectly, has brought a whole new dimension to my life.  It is like growing an extra ear, another mouth and an additional eye. It has given me a new way to think, to hear, to see, and to express myself.  I suppose my mistakes keep me humble and increase my compassion for others who struggle with language learning; I can learn to be grateful for the mistakes and the struggles for in a sense they too are my teachers.


While I see my blog as more of an update for family, friends and community who are curious about what I am doing, and not a fundraising page, people sometimes ask how they can help, so here is an opportunity.  The sheets on many of the children's beds are quite worn.  If you visit the Mary Gate of Heaven facebook page, you will see that we have posted a request for sheets.   The orphanage fundraising committee in New Hampshire could use some assistance with funds to purchase new sheets for the children. If people would prefer to send new twin bed (Jersy knit) colored or printed sheets they will include them in the next shipment.  Both checks and sheets can be mailed to:
 Sisters of Holy Cross 
Claire Daneau Legacy Fund 
377 Island Pond Road 
Manchester, NH 03109.

Thank you!  Mesi Anpil!

Have a good week.  Take care.  Many blessings!


    

No comments:

Post a Comment