Sunday, September 6, 2015

return

While turning my American cell phone off after boarding the plane in Miami and turning my Haitian cell phone on when the landing in Cap-Haitian I am mindful of whom I contact more easily, and who it is harder to reach, it is a letting go and a welcoming, a good-bye and a hello. The same is true when I leave Haiti for the US.  This simple act is a ritual signifying my passage between countries and cultures. 

The children were scheduled to return to the orphanage today, however on Friday I learned that school is not going to start for another week, and that the children’s relatives had already been contacted and told to bring them next Sunday instead.  It has been good to see the sisters and the workers and catch up a bit.  I have used these days to organize the playroom, integrating the additional toys I brought and rearranging the furniture, hopefully making it more conducive for imaginative play.  For various reasons, a few of the children have been by to visit the orphanage during the days there.  My heart was happy to see them, and those I saw looked well, thanks be to God!    

So far it has overall been a positive experience living at Leocaide Convent.  During my first full day here, the male novices of Holy Cross arrived and began a few days of silent retreat.  While they were here we ate our meals with them in silence.  Two of them will profess first vows later today.  This house is in the midst of transitions as the Canadian sister who lives here has not yet returned, and there are women who I thought had gone to Canada and Peru to start there novitiate but due to delayed visas they remain in Haiti.  (We had a farewell in June for one of them who worked at the orphanage last year; I had been wondering how she was making out with her travels and was quite surprised to find her here when I arrived.)  There are some young women who will move in in October and begin their postulancy; two of them are living/working at the orphanage until that time.  

This is a big house. I love that it seems to have been designed with many skylights and windows maximizing use of natural light, very helpful during the day, since there are time when the electricity is not on.    It is difficult to get a decent picture of the house; I will share my attempts here. Pictures of some of the plants and animals on the property are probably more interesting.  Enjoy! 


      



Notice the butterfly. 






See the bananas.   


 This helps me to feel at home here because an identical bust of Fr. Moreau (founder of  Holy Cross congregations)  can be found at a convent I lived in in New Orleans, and there was copy of the very same painting in the convent I lived in Philadelphia as a Sister of the Holy Redeemer.  
       Happy Labor Day to everyone in the United States!  

No comments:

Post a Comment