Friday, July 23, 2010

Bookkeeping???

Two weeks from tomorrow, I will arrive in Haiti, si Dye vle. 

Today, I had a voice mail message stating that someone who I was going to be working for in Haiti, was trying to reach me. All of my communication before today has been with Sister Mary; and that was not the name of the person trying to reach me now. Fortunately, as I mentioned earlier Anne who is in class with me has been to Matthew 25, and is much more familiar with the program there than I am. She recognized the name and confirmed that the person trying to reach me is in charge of the entire parish twinning program, which includes Matthew 25.

I called the person during my lunch break from class.    She wanted to touch base with me and talk about the expectations they have for what I will do at the hospitality house.  She was very nice and provided me with some basic information about the parish twinning program and history of the hospitality house.  Of course, I expected that I would have some responsibility at the  house where I am planning to stay, but that the focus of my ministry would be with people in need, thinking especially of those living in tents in the soccer field.  While all along I have assumed that I won't really know exactly how ministry will work out until I am there, and have felt a need to be open to possabilies, and let it unfold, I did not really consider that I would be expected to do a couple of the things mentioned during this phone conversation, especially the bookkeeping for the hospitality house. For any readers who may not know me well, while I think I do a pretty good job of managing my $80 personal monthly stipend, I have very limited experience and did not inherit my mother's genes in this area (she is an accountant and always loved math.)     

I reread many of the emails to and from Sister Mary; I think I was clear about my desire to use my social work skills, to serve those in need and never falsely indicated that I had desire, aptitude, nor felt called to bookkeeping.    

I went for a walk after class to try to make sense of this.  I am puzzled by a few things, which I am seeking clarification about, but I am confident that things will work out, because they always do, although often in unexpected ways.  Life is interesting!  

Yes, two weeks from tomorrow, I will be arriving in Haiti, si Dye vle!             

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathleen! I just went back and caught myself up on all of your entries in the past 4-5 weeks. You've had such an eventful month!!!! Keep on keepin' on! Good luck to you in this latest challenge. As you mentioned, it will somehow work out, si dye vle. I'll email you with a longer message. Love & blessings! Rachel

    ReplyDelete