Friday, July 2, 2010

Don't Say Do Something!

In Creole, Fe' means to do or to make.  It is an extremely common word in Kreyo'l Ayisyen (Haitian Creole.)  Another very common word that is also used with great frequency is bagay, meaning something.  In English I often put the two words together.  Yesterday during class, we were talking about what we would do for the fourth of July weekend, in order to practice Creole conversation. I used these two very common words together when talking to the entire class. 
The professor responded, "no, we don't say that in Creole.  It means something NASTY."
I suppose as a sister and a social worker, it could become a problem perhaps even scandalous, in certain situations, if I mistakenly put these two basic, useful, common words together.  So, now when speaking Creole, I need to remember not to use these two words together.  I wonder if I can do something to help me remember?        

No comments:

Post a Comment