Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hello!  I hope that you are doing well.
I think I mentioned in a previous post that the campus here is quite beautiful.  In order to share with you a glimpse of the beauty, I took a few pictures last weekend.  
I am learning a lot, although it is not easy, and I don't think I did well on the midterm.  It does not really matter what kind of a grade I get, since I am not taking this program for credit, I just want to learn kreyol so that I can communicate with people in Haiti. The program is a little more academic than I would have liked.  Up until now I have been doing fine, although I have yet to receive the grade on the midterm, paper or presentation from last week. 
My struggle to learn the language is quickly put into perspective as I learn more about the history and conditions in Haiti and how it got to this point.  It causes me to feel angry when I learn of the role that the United States has played in Haiti's history, often maintaining, exacerbating, and at times causing problems there.

On Friday we had a class trip to the Little Haiti section of Miami.  We visited a social service agency, a book store, a Botanica, a  cultural center, Haitian restaurant, art gallery, and Catholic church.  We had a knowledgeable tour guide, an lawyer and activist originally from Haiti, who helped us to understand the plight of Haitian immigrants, their reasons for leaving and experiences once they arrived.  Below is a picture of a stained glass window of the church, and one of a mural at the Haitian cultural center. 

I spent much of Saturday, studying, walked, swam went to the library.  I am trying to find social work materials that might have information that will help me to better understand Haitian culture, and how to help people especially children who have experienced disasters such as earthquakes.
  
Today, I had visitors!  I will say this in kreyol (just because I can do this whole sentence without having to look up any of the words; even if it is wrong most of you will never know.)  Manman mwen ak, Papa mwen te vizite mwen!  Yes, my parents who are spending a few days in Florida came down for the day.  We went to a park, to the beach,  and went out to dinner.  It was great to see them!  Thank you, Mom and Dad!

Thank you for reading this!
Take care,
Kathleen          

No comments:

Post a Comment