Monday, July 5, 2010

Other Updates and Information

We received an email yesterday afternoon saying that class would be canceled for today after all.  Apparently there was uncertainty as to whether or not the building where class is held would actually be accessible since the university is essentially closed today in observance of Independence Day.  So, if you were feeling badly that I was in class taking a test while most everyone was have a day off, don't. I am actually ambivalent about the cancellation because while it is nice to have the day off, I need all the help I can get to learn this language.  After spending a few hour working on writing my autobiography in Haitian Creole yesterday, it suddenly feels quite easy to write in English.  As I write this, I realize how much I depend on spell check when writing in English and how helpful it would be when writing in Creole.

I hope all of you enjoyed the fourth of July yesterday.  For a couple of hours yesterday morning, Anne and I went to a garden call Fairchild Tropical Botanic garden. She found it on the internet and although they normally charge admission, yesterday was free.  There were amazing plants there, beautiful flowers, lots of butterflies and lizards. http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

I spent most of the rest of the day doing school work.  I was glad to talk with some of my relatives on the phone as they were gathered at my parents' house for a cook out and to watch the fireworks by the bay.  I could see lots of fireworks from my window here at FIU.  My room is on the tenth floor, probably one of the taller buildings around which allowed me to see multiple firework displays, most quite distant.

Last Wednesday night some of us in the Haitian Creole program went to a program which was essentially a promotion for a local public radio program that will air in a few weeks about how the earth quake in Haiti has impacted the lives of people living in south Florida.  There was music, art, a variety of speakers.  It was interesting. http://wlrnunderthesun.org/2010/07/recap-an-evening-under-the-sun-in-little-haiti/
On the way home, we missed a turn.  We ended up being at the very end of route 95; I thought this was rather exciting since it is such a long highway and I have spent a lot of time driving on it, but usually towards the other end.

On Thursday afternoon, instead of our regular class we went to the art museum on campus for a special presentation about an exhibit of Haitian art currently being displayed.  It was fascinating.  http://thefrost.fiu.edu/exhibitions.htm  The art chosen for the exhibit was colorful and reflected the hope and joy of the Haitian culture.  Most of the class went to a restaurant that evening which serves Haitian food.  The vegetable medley, beans and rice I ordered were delicious.

So, as you can see, I am doing quite well, having wonderful experiences, learning a great deal and enjoying it.  Hopefully you are doing well too.  I changed the settings to make it easier for people to leave a comment on this blog.  If you have thoughts, questions, or your own story to tell feel free to do so.  I do hope that you are doing well. Know that all of you in my community, my family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.  Take care,
Kathleen     

No comments:

Post a Comment