Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Angels of Light

Today I went to visit and learn more about a program which serves children who have been affected by the earthquake.  Each day some children come from nearby tent communtities for school, although since it is summer vacation now in Haiti, much of the day is more like a summer camp.  Other children live there, because they may be orphans or do not have family able to care for them.  I got a tour of the program, met some of the staff and children.  What a wonderful  program.  There were a variety of activities going on for the children while I was there.  It feels like a place where my skills will be utalized, and where I am feeling led by the Spirit.  The program I will be working with is called Angles of Light.  It is one of many programs in Haiti run by an organization called, Nuestros Pequanos Hermanos, which has various programs, mostly orphanages in several countires in latin america and the caribbean. Fr. Rick Frachette, a passionist priest oversees the programs in Haiti.  The grounds are well maintained, large, and feel safe.  It is located just outside of Purtaprince, very near the US embassy.  I will be able to do some clinical work there, and perhaps help with training some of the staff about trauma and therapy.  It seems the program itself is evolving.  They are in the process of creating housing out of large shipping containers for the children who live there.  Many of the children are still in tents.  I expect to move there sometime next week and begin work.  As I did not go through the normal volunteer application process, the first month is a trial, and if that goes well, I will likely be for a couple of years. 

      

1 comment:

  1. thank you to share it with us, you told the emotionsthat you felt. by visiting those children, whom are very in need.

    Good work at kay St Ann

    ReplyDelete