Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Gourds and Dollars

Greetings from Haiti!
 
Today two people wanted to pay for either items from our giftshop or lodging using a combination of Haitian gourds and american dollars.  This was complicated but once I knew what number to multiply by, and with a little assistance from a caluculator, I figured it out.   

A young woman who lives in the tent community had expressed an interest in learning English.  I brought the picutre English/Creole Oxford Picture Dictoranry which we used in Creole class and a few people sat with me as we looked at a few of the pages and I practiced my Creole and they learned a little English.  It was enjoyable, but I left a little sooner than I otherwise would have because a thunderstorm was coming. 

The people who stay here are typically very generous and kind.  I enjoy meeting people from all over the United States but do wish I could have more time to interact with the people of Haiti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment