Monday, August 9, 2010

First full day

Yesterday morning, Sister Mary and I went to liturgy.  It was held in someone's yard.  At first, I thought this was probably due to a church being damaged from the earthquake, but that was not the case, the neighborhood does not have a church building and did not prior to the earthquake.  It was mostly in Creole, though some of it, and about half of the music was in French.  I like that it is held at someone's home, that is afterall how the early church began. 
 
In the afternoon, I walked though the tent community in the soccer field.  People are very welcoming and friendly.  I was able to talk with people, they are amazingly patient with my poor creole.  For a little while I kicked a soccer ball around with some of the kids.  So many people seem to live in such a small area.  It was enjoyable to be with them for a little while. 
 
Mary and I were invited to dinner at the family house of the priest who presided at the liturgy yesterday.  He, his sister and brother were all very kind and hospitable.  A true Haitian meal.  The food was delicious.  It was a very large and beautiful house.  There were a couple other people from the community which gathered for litugry that morning also there for dinner.  It seems we are located in a very nice area of Portaprince. 

We are expecting 17 guests tonight, which should be interesting.  Hopefully I will soon have Skype and the webcam my parents gave to me working on the same computer at the same time soon.
Take care,
Kathleen         

No comments:

Post a Comment