Thursday, August 26, 2010

New Beginning

Greetings from Tabarre, Haiti!  Thanks to many of you for prayers, support and birthday greetings. 

Before I left Matthew 25 yesterday, Mary gave me a delicious little birthday cake which we ate for dessert after lunch.  I will miss her and the people who work at and visit Matthew 25.  I am grateful for the experience I had there; I feel like it was a good place for me to be while I was transitioning into Haiti.

Yesterday afternoon, I arrived here on the grounds of St. Damian's hospital in Tabarre.   Last night I went out to dinner with my supervisor, a sister who works at the hospital here, a long term volunteer, and a Haitian American woman who is a doctor, she works at a hospital in Philly most of the time but comes here to work for one week each month.

  I am beginning to work with the Angels of Light program for children who have been displaced since the earthquake.  Some of the children live here; because they were identified as being orphaned or lacking family they could stay with.  Others come for the day, from nearby tent communities.  The children are beautiful.  I enjoyed meeting some of them yesterday afternoon and this morning.  The children participate in a wide variety of activities during the day such as dance, sewing, drumming, and calligraphy.  There are a few other programs on the grounds including the hospital, and a day program for children with disabilities.  

Obviously, I do have internet access here for which I am grateful.  My tent has electricity, lights and a couple of much appreciated fans; it is probably a lot nicer than most people imagine a tent to be.  I am the only one staying in that tent, even though there is plenty of space and six beds!  It is in a group of tents  for volunteers.  The grounds here are beautiful.  I have met some very nice people.  There are two other sisters working here, one in the hospital and one in the program for children with disabilities.  Someone pointed out that now each program on the grounds has its own sister!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment